|HOME | LINKS | SEARCH | SITEMAP | FAQ | CONTACT|
|www.PASSIONAustralia.org - Reaching, encouraging and equipping for Christ|
Communion: Jesus is all we needWhen I first started reading the Bible, and in particular the NT, I really started to take note of the words in red letters. I came to learn that the words written in red were the words of Jesus. The words of Jesus fascinated me. And although I didn’t understand them, I knew they were far greater than any words in any other book I had ever read before.
One of the sayings that really grabbed my attention was the red-letter words of Jesus that said, “I am the…”. As a new believer, 28 years ago last Friday, I can remember highlighting them in my very first Bible and them being very special to me.
I found that Jesus used this term 7 times in John. And as I reflected on these words I realised that Jesus is all I needed.
1. Bread of Life - “I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me shall not hunger.” John 6:35
2. Light of the world - “I am the light of the world; he who fallows Me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life.” John 8:12
3. Gate - “I am the gate; if anyone enters through Me, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.” John 10:9
4. Good Shepherd - “I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for His sheep.” John 10:11
5. Resurrection and Life - “I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me shall live even if he dies.” John 11:25
6. Way, Truth, Life - “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me.” John 14:6
7. True vine - “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.” John 15:1
The divinity of Jesus Christ is further illustrated in John 8:58. Jesus said, “Truly, Truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am”, which means that Jesus existed before His human life on earth.
For me these I am sayings represent everything we need in this life and beyond. I need bread and water that is both physical and spiritual. I need a Good Shepherd that will light the way and lead me on the right path to truth. I need to be connected to the true vine that will give me life – both abundant life now and resurrection to eternal life. In short, I need Jesus. We all do. Jesus really is all we need.
Right now, I will give thanks and then the helpers forward.
By Dave Quinn
|FREE DISCIPLESHIP BOOKLET