I was talking recently with a friend about Jesus’ words in John 10:10. The ones where He says that He came to give us abundant life. It was an interesting conversation. Today I thought I would share what abundant life means to me.
1. Salvation – I like knowing that I am going to heaven because of what Jesus has done for me on the cross. There is something life changing about knowing your eternal destiny is sorted. You live differently knowing your sins are forgiven and you are right with God.
2. Security – I like knowing that I am held is the palm of Jesus’ hand and no-one can snatch me out. I am His and He is always with me gives me great comfort.
3. Acceptance – I like knowing that I am fully accepted by God. That when the Father looks at me He looks at me through the lens of Christ. As I know I am accepted by God it helps me to fully accept myself as I am.
4. Mission – I like knowing that God made me a certain way to do certain things. I like that He chose for me to be born at this time in history or His-story. God wanted me here and now to do His work.
5. Provision – I like knowing that God will provide all my needs as I put Him and His Kingdom first. I don’t have to worry about money, food or clothing, I just have to follow Him and all things will be added.
6. Peace – I like knowing that in the midst of terrorism and other terrible world events that God is in control. He is on the throne and His plans will all come to pass. This gives me peace in the midst of the storms of life.
These are some of the things that I have found since coming to know Jesus in 1989. Before Christ or BC I did not know any of them and life was a constant struggle to makes sense of things.
Now I know Jesus, I know peace. To me this is abundant life (NIV) or a rich and satisfying life that the NLT talks about.