January 14th, 2011
Hebrews chapter 11 is a great passage from the Bible that talks about faith. Hebrews 11:1 says, “Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see” .
Verse 2 tells us that “Through their faith, the people in days of old earned a good reputation”. It then goes on to list some great examples of faith from the Old Testament. Here are a few…
- v5 – It was by faith that Enoch was taken up to heaven without dying—“he disappeared, because God took him.
- v7 – It was by faith that Noah built a large boat to save his family from the flood.
- v8 – It was by faith that Abraham obeyed when God called him to leave home and go to another land that God would give him as his inheritance.
- v11- It was by faith that even Sarah was able to have a child, though she was barren and was too old.
- v22 -It was by faith that Joseph, when he was about to die, said confidently that the people of Israel would leave Egypt.
- v23 – It was by faith that Moses’ parents hid him for three months when he was born.
- v24 – It was by faith that Moses, when he grew up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter. 25 He chose to share the oppression of God’s people instead of enjoying the fleeting pleasures of sin.
- v29 – It was by faith that the people of Israel went right through the Red Sea as though they were on dry ground.
- v30 – It was by faith that the people of Israel marched around Jericho for seven days, and the walls came crashing down.
Hebrews chapter 11 not only tells us what faith is in verse 1, it also shows us some great examples of people who lived their lives by faith and trust in God. They refused to go with the flow and stood firm and trusted God. They had confidence that what they hoped for would actually happen; they were assured about the things they could not see.
How about you? What things can you look to God for today in faith? What things can look to the future for with hope and a confident assurance will happen because God has spoken to you about? I think that is worth refelcting on today.